Good info, clear answers and important details
Your finances are important. The more you know, the better decisions you can make. On this page, we offer often-requested information about everything from opening accounts and digital banking to credit cards and NorthCountry policies. Still have questions? Feel free to give us a call, send us a note or drop into one of our branches.
In Online Banking, look for "Manage Money", and select "Money Management". This account aggregator can pull the information from all your accounts into one place.
You can easily do this yourself within digital banking. (Look under "More" in the mobile app.) After it's open, you can go to your user preferences to give it a descriptive nickname of your choice (taxes, vacation, tuition, etc.).
To open an account at the credit union, a person needs to live, work, worship, or attend school in one of the following counties:
Vermont: Addison, Caledonia, Chittenden, Essex, Franklin, Grand Isle, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, and Washington.
New Hampshire: Coos, and Grafton
New York: Clinton
You'll need to provide proof of your identity, your physical address, and a Social Security number.
For accounts in good standing, the first $500 of your ATM deposit is immediately available. The remainder will be available on the third business day.
If you see a charge that you suspect may be fraud, contact us immediately at one of the phone numbers below. If possible, let us know where your card was lost or stolen and the last authorized transaction on the card. You should also turn off your credit card in digital banking.
From time to time, the credit union may automatically increase your credit limit based on your use and credit score. You can also request a higher credit limit increase by reaching out to us. Visit our Contact Us page for ways to get in touch.
It's probably due to one of these issues:
- Your transaction fell outside of your normal spending habits and triggered our fraud detection software
- Your credit card information was entered incorrectly
- You turned off your credit card using the security features in digital banking
- Your credit card has expired
- You have exceeded your credit limit
Still not sure? Contact us for assistance.
To redeem your points, log into your account and tap or click on your credit card account. Follow the "rewards" link to the redemption site.
Your credit limit is the maximum balance you are authorized to carry on your credit card account. Not sure what it is? You can find it by checking your account in digital banking.
You must pay a minimum amount each month to keep your account in good standing. This minimum payment amount is included on your statement and is equal to 2% of your new balance, but at least $20. If the new balance is less than $20, then the minimum payment would be equal to the new balance.
If you do not recognize a charge or feel you were billed an incorrect amount, first double-check your receipts and check with other authorized users of your card. If the amount is still unexplained, contact the merchant where the purchase originated. If your dispute remains unresolved, let us know and we can open an investigation.
Although your Visa will work in most countries, transactions in certain countries may be restricted due to fraud trends. If you would like assistance while traveling internationally, please visit our Contact Us page for ways to get in touch.
To access your credit card information, log into digital banking. Your credit card will be listed in your accounts. Click or tap the account heading for your credit card information.
If you have funds in your checking account to cover transactions, your card may have declined because:
- Our fraud prevention software detected a purchase outside normal spending habits or in a place you don’t usually travel. If this is the case, we may call or text you to verify the purchase is actually yours.
- Your information was entered incorrectly.
- You turned off your debit card.
- Your card has expired.
- The funds from a deposit you made are not yet available.
Our debit card is free. A replacement fee applies for debit cards that have been lost, stolen, or damaged.
Sign up for direct deposit through your employer's human resources or payroll office and your salary will be safely deposited into your NorthCountry account for you. Direct deposit is also available for government payments, including Social Security.
If you are a small business and would like to offer employees direct deposit, ask about our ACH Origination services.
Medallion Signature Guarantees
It's our goal to provide you with excellent service while meeting all the requirements of a Medallion Signature Guarantee. To do this, we recommend you review the following in advance of requesting a Medallion Signature Guarantee:
- This service is restricted to members in good standing.
- A valid photo ID is required from each signer.
- Bring proof of ownership and value.
- Documents must be signed by all owners in our presence, not beforehand.
- We may ask for up to five business days to review the documentation.
Sale or transfer of multiple stocks by sole owner
- Irrevocable Stock Power
Security with multiple owners
- Every owner must be present to sign or...
- Specific Power of Attorney for Multiple Securities Owners if not all owners present
Security owned by trust
- Trust agreements identifying trust owners, agents and trustees or...
- Certified will if trustee established in will (must sign as trustee under name)
- Legal documentation of name changes, such as a marriage certificate or divorce decree
- Divorce decree and Qualified Domestic Relations Order
- A signed Letter of Intent from the spouse surrendering the assets
Joint tenants with rights of survivorship
- Certified Death Certificate
- Affidavit of Domicile
- Inheritance Tax Waiver. Only if value greater than $25,000 and decedent resided in Alabama, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, or Tennessee.
Inheritance-designated on the securities account (also known as a Transferable on Death Registration)
- Certified Death Certificate
- Documentation from the security firm listing designated beneficiaries
- Certified Death Certificate
- Letter of Testamentary or Administration
- Documentation from the security firm designating the estate as beneficiary
Log into your account from a desktop computer. Click "Additional Services," and then choose "Online Statements and Notices." The system will save up to 12 months of statements for you. Watch this video: https://go.northcountry.org/SwitchtoEstatements
- They’re safer. Don’t be a victim of paper mail theft! E-statements are password protected.
- They’re faster. E-statements are available almost immediately on the first of the month.
- They save money. When you help us operate more efficiently, we can return the savings to you through better rates and lower fees.
If you are having issues with the mobile app, please make sure you are on the most current version. Another strategy is to uninstall and reinstall the app. If you need assistance with any of this, please feel free to reach out.
Student loan payments should be mailed to: UAS, PO Box 5865, Carol Stream, IL 60197-5865
- Membership at the credit union
- Proof of graduation from an approved four-year, not-for-profit institution
- United States citizenship
- At least two years of income history
- A minimum FICO of 660
- Undergraduate loans
- Graduate loans
- Previously consolidated private loans
- Direct loans (subsidized and unsubsidized)
- Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP) Stafford Loans
- Perkins Loans
- Grad PLUS Loans
- Previously consolidated federal loans
- Parent PLUS Loans (affidavit must be signed by all parties)
- Institutional Education Loans
You will receive a notice in the mail or e-statement prior to the maturity of your Share Certificate. After the maturity date, you have 10 days to contact us. You can choose to roll it over into a different term Share Certificate or withdraw the funds. If you do nothing, they will automatically roll over into the same term and type of share certificate. (See the Share Certificates Truth-In-Savings Disclosure for more information.)
A minimum balance of $500 is required for most Share Certificates, including IRAs.
If you are financing a vehicle at NorthCountry, we will need:
- A Purchase & Sales Agreement (or Bill of Sale)
- Your insurance agency’s name and your policy number (available on your insurance card)
- In some situations, we may also require proof of income
Once your vehicle loan is paid off, the title will be mailed directly to you within 30 business days. If you need it sooner, contact us.
If you're planning to pay off the vehicle and pick up the title same-day, you'll need a cashier’s check. Personal checks often have holds placed on them to make sure the funds clear. We will not release a title if the funds are not verified.
To receive an incoming wire, provide the sender with NorthCountry's routing number (211691004) and your account number. An incoming wire fee applies.