NorthCountry's COVID-19 Response
The COVID-19 pandemic will be one of the most significant events in NorthCountry's history. Although the service at our branches has been necessarily modified, our operations continue to function smoothly behind the scenes. If you need us, we are here. Please stay safe and stay healthy.
Need to reach us?
- Call us locally at (802) 657-6847 or toll free at (800) 660-3258 M-F from 8am-5:30pm and Saturdays from 9am-1pm
- Email us at email@example.com
- Chat with us M-F from 8:00am-5:30pm and Saturdays from 9:00am-1:00pm
- 7/15/2020 - Walk-ins are permitted beginning Wednesday, July 15, 2020. The Alburgh, Barre, Berlin, Burlington (North Ave.), Colchester, East Montpelier, Lyndonville, Newport, and Orleans lobbies are open from 9am to 5pm, M–F. The Montpelier branch within the National Life building is open from 8am to 4pm, M–F. South Burlington (Swift St.) will remain open for appointments only at this time from 9am to 5pm, M–F. Before visiting a branch or making an appointment, please consider using our drive-ups, ATMs, and remote services. Please read the requirements and guidelines for making and attending an appointment or visiting a branch Here*
- 6/16/2020 - The EIDL program has reopened! The Small Business Administration has announced funds are available to assist eligible businesses and non-profits impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Learn more Here*
- 6/10/2020 - Appointments are available beginning Monday, June 15, 2020. Before scheduling an in-person appointment, please consider if alternative meeting methods are possible. If not, contact our Member Resource Team at (802) 657-6847 or toll-free at (800) 660-3258 to schedule a time to come in. Please read the requirements and guidelines for making and attending an appointment Here*
- 5/15/2020 - We've released information about our current plan for reopening our branch lobbies: In mid-June in-branch availability begins, by appointment only. In mid-July lobbies at some branches will open. Other branches will continue to be accessible by appointment only. Then, in late July, all branch lobbies except our South Burlington headquarters will open. Appointments will be recommended, but not required. Finally, in September we plan to reopen our South Burlington lobby.
- 4/3/2020 - The SBA's Paycheck Protection Program for small business owners is open! More information is available below.
- 3/26/2020 - Effective Monday 3/30/2020, our branches are open Monday through Friday from 9:00am-5:00pm. Effective 4/4/2020, our branches are closed on Saturdays.
- 3/24/2020 - If you are a NorthCountry borrower with student loans and have been impacted by COVID-19, please see the 'For Help Making Ends Meet' section below.
- 3/23/2020 - SBA Disaster Loans are available, please see the 'For Help Making Ends Meet' section below.
- 3/23/2020 - Our Alburgh branch is closed effective 3/23/2020 until further notice. Please see our Locations Page for more details.
- 3/19/2020 - Our Orleans branch is closed effective 3/19/2020 until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- 3/18/2020 - We've released a new product - the COVID-19 Financial Relief Program. Please see the 'For Help Making Ends Meet' section below.
- 3/18/2020 - To ensure the safety of our staff and members we have restricted lobby access at all of our branches and are conducting business via our drive-throughs.
- 3/17/2020 - We have postponed our 2020 Annual Meeting, originally scheduled for 4/16/2020. We do not yet have a new date, please stay tuned to future communications.
- 3/17/2020 - Our Montpelier Branch is closed effective 3/19/2020 until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- 3/17/2020 - Applications for commercial and mortgage loans can be submitted online or taken by phone. If you need an appointment for mortgages, please call (802) 264-6700. For commercial loans, please call (802) 264-6742.
Please Note: Given the high volume of mortgage applications, we are processing requests as quickly as possible. We expect to respond to applications and inquiries within 48-72 hours. Thank you for your patience and support.
Skip the trip! Social distancing helps keep people safe. COVID-19 is most dangerous to people who are ill or elderly. Please help protect your most vulnerable neighbors by considering these alternatives to visiting a branch:
- Online/mobile banking. If you haven't registered for online banking or downloaded our app to your mobile phone or tablet, please consider self-registering now, just in case.
- Apply for a loan online? Sure!*
- Mobile deposit capture. Use your mobile phone or tablet to deposit checks. Watch our Tutorial Video to learn how.
- BillPay. Within online banking or our mobile app, pay your bills without stamps, checks, or envelopes.
- Call us. We're at (802) 657-6847 or toll-free (800) 660-3258 M-F from 8am-5:30pm and Saturdays from 9am-1pm.
- Email us. Contact our Member Resource Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chat with us online. We're here M-F from 8am-5:30pm and Saturdays from 9am-1pm.
Wherever you go, we're there. If you have a mobile phone and a signal, you're just a few taps away from depositing a check, requesting a loan, or paying a bill. We're continually expanding the features offered within our mobile app and online banking.
Need to download our app? Here you go!
Which is better? Paper or plastic? We've had a few questions come in about the importance of having cash on hand during the COVID-19 pandemic. Cash used to be king, but those days are long gone! If you want to carry some cash in your wallet, we understand. But while COVID-19 continues to spread through the community, we urge you to consider the benefits of using your debit or credit card instead.
|Paper (currency)||Plastic (debit or credit card)|
|Easy to replace||No||Yes|
|Accepted almost anywhere||Yes||Yes|
|Can be used online||No||Yes|
|Mobile wallet compatible||No||Yes|
|Fraud protection included||No||Yes|
If you have a NorthCountry debit or Visa Rewards credit card, you can add an electronic version of it to your mobile phone. Get ApplePay, Android Pay, or Samsung Pay from your app store and follow the prompts. The next time you want to purchase something with your NorthCountry debit or credit card, open the app, tap on the card you want to use, and wave your phone over (or tap it to) the point-of-sale terminal. Tokenization keeps the transaction secure, and your plastic card can stay tucked neatly in your wallet.
Let's add those cards to your mobile wallet! It's easy, secure, and convenient:
If you are concerned about the impact of COVID-19 on your finances, we have solutions. Contact us by phone, email, or chat to get started, or apply here*
Economic Impact Payments
Details about economic impact payments from the federal government are available at irs.gov, including who is eligible and how payments are being calculated. Remember, the IRS will not call, text, email, or contact you on social media for your personal information. Criminals are using the pandemic to perpetrate fraud. Don't give away your information! If you ever have a question about the validity of a request for your personal or account information, contact us. We're here to keep your money safe.
COVID-19 Financial Relief Program
If you are experiencing a reduction in your income due to COVID-19, you may qualify for a loan of up to $5,000 based on your past relationship with us. No need to visit a branch! Contact us during regular business hours at (800) 660-3258 or (802) 657-6847.
|Existing members with direct deposit||Existing self-employed members|
|Eligibility requirements||Established direct deposit to a NorthCountry account||A minimum two years checking (share draft) account. Average balance(s) of $2,500 in the last 90 days.|
|Maximum amount||$5,000 or one month of net pay, whichever is less||$5,000 or the average monthly deposit, whichever is less|
|Annual Percentage Rate (APR)||0.00%|
|Loan term||24 months beginning 120 days after the loan is granted|
|Repayment||Automatic electronic payment from NorthCountry checking|
|Eligible existing members are invited to request fee refunds for overdrawn checking accounts and waived penalties for the early withdrawal of funds in a certificate.|
|Eligibility||Existing members whose income has been negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic|
|Required documentation||Proof of income interruption|
|Availability||Upon request. Please call or email.|
Support for NorthCountry Student Loan Borrowers
If you are a NorthCountry borrower with student loans and have been impacted by COVID-19, you may qualify for a three-month extension. Please contact our loan servicer by visiting their site or by calling University Accounting Services at 1-800-723-2210.
Income Advance Program
Our Income Advance Program is offered as an employee benefit at nearly 50 businesses and organizations in Vermont. Through the IA Program, employees can get cash loans of up to $1,500 through their human resource departments within an hour. The borrower repays the loan through payroll deduction over the course of six months. A small annual program fee is paid by the employer.
Income Advance is offered at a diverse group of manufacturers, home health organizations, hospitals, non-profits, breweries, and retail establishments. If you would like your employer to consider adding the Income Advance Program to your company's benefit package, have them contact us. The program is inexpensive to offer and can be up and running within a few days.
Other Ways to Access Cash
Checking (Share Draft) Line of Credit. If the balance in your checking account might not be enough to cover your expenses, a line of credit* could be the answer.
Visa Rewards Credit Card. A cash advance from your credit card can be deposited to your checking account. Don't have a NorthCountry Visa Rewards credit card yet? Apply here*.
Signature Loan. Borrow cash* and take up to four years to pay it back.
Please know we are here for you and will do everything to help you and your business persevere through this pandemic. If we can be of assistance, let us know. Please visit the SBA's website for a full listing of SBA Relief Options.
Program 1: Small Business Administration's (SBA) Economic Injury Disaster Loans
Vermont small business owners struggling with a temporary loss of revenue due to the COVID-19 pandemic can apply for SBA disaster loans. Funds can be used to pay fixed debts, payroll, accounts payable, and other bills.
|Maximum loan amount||$2 million|
|Maximum repayment term||30 years|
|Application deadline||December 2020|
|First payment due||12 months after the loan is granted|
How to apply: The loan approval process is currently taking three to four weeks. Businesses should apply directly with the SBA. Please be prepared to provide the following documents a recent federal tax return, profit-and-loss statement and balance sheet. Upon completing the application, you can expect to receive $10,000 within about five business days. If your application is denied for any reason, the $10,000 will be forgiven.
Program 2: CARES Act's Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) Loan
Due to high demand, please be aware that priority is being given to our existing member businesses. If you are a non-member business, your first step should be to join the credit union by calling toll-free (800) 660-3258 x7545 (Matt) or x6732 (Thy).
The PPP Loan is intended to help rehire employees who may have been let go due to COVID-19. These funds, used appropriately, will not be considered "double-dipping" if used in conjunction with SBA Disaster Relief (EDILs) monies.
|Maximum loan amount*||$10 million|
|First payment due||Payments can be deferred up to 6 months|
* Covers payroll at 2.5x the average monthly payroll costs as well as expenses for paid sick leave, healthcare, mortgage interest, rental/lease payments, utilities, etc.
How to apply: We are accepting applications for the SBA's Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). To support a smooth process, please compile all required documentation before submitting your request:
- Your application -- No other versions will be accepted.
- Payroll costs for the past 12 months
- Rental or mortgage payments for two months
- Utility expenses for two months
- For new business members only: two years of tax returns
- For sole proprietors, LLCs, and DBAs only (members and non-members): Your 2019 tax return and Profit & Loss statement through 2/15/2020; or your P&L statements for 2019 and 2020.
- Other documentation as requested
When you've completed the application and collected the required documentation, email it to email@example.com for processing. Our goal is to contact you within five business days of receiving your completed application and all required documentation. Thank you in advance for your patience as we address the surge of requests as quickly and efficiently as possible. We look forward to helping you and your business persevere through this crisis.